Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Health Benefits of Steam Baths

Stress and tension is a fairly common occurrence for most people these days. There are occasions when stress can be so overwhelming that you feel like giving up. You can become depressed and when you reach this state it is extremely difficult to motivate yourself to do anything. Your physical and emotional well-being can suffer if you let stress get to you, which is why you have to find a way to let off steam. You need to find something which enables you to release those pent-up emotions and gets you to burn off some energy.One of the things I learned lately is that going to a gym or spa after a hard day's work can really do wonders. I discovered that taking a steam bath/sauna have health benefits beyond just relaxation.
photo from tine_stone of flicker
A good sweat whether it's from a workout or from a steam bath is excellent for healthy skin. Dermatologists understand the benefits of steam to create a beautiful, healthy glow. Serious sweating washes the skin better than soap and water since it unlocks the pores and lets deep-seated grime along with dead cells to be washed out. 


Steam bathing is also an effective treatment in respiratory conditions and is highly recommended for the treatment of the common cold, sinusitis, bronchitis, and asthma (it does apply to me because I'm an asthmatic person). Steam relieves inflammation and congestion of the upper respiratory membranes, It also helps relieves throat irritation by moistening the air. Steam loosens secretions and stimulates discharges of mucous from the throat and lungs. Also, it improves circulation and blood flow, the heat of a steam causes the heart rate to increase and blood vessels to expand that creates cardiovascular workout without having to strain muscles and joints, it is actually the same result we get from mild workout such as brisk walk.


Steam bath also relaxes muscles and relieves the pain due to physical and mental stress, even releasing toxins and free radicals that may allow for better overall health. You may wonder about the difference between sauna and steam bath but there generally is no difference noted between a dry sauna and a wet sauna or a steam bath as the benefit is related to generating enough sweat and heat to detoxify and relax the body.
One of the things I realize in my own life is that no matter how bad a day might have been, taking care of my self makes all the difference in how I feel about who I am. Taking care of my body not only cleanses the outside, but it also refreshes me internally. From my perspective it’s a cleansing of the soul if you will. Taking care of my body reenergizes me from within.


Now that I learned that stress and tension can affect our physical, mental and emotional state, the best way to restore ourselves is to reward ourselves with a hot and relaxing bath.  :)






0 comments:

Post a Comment