Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Follow my blog with bloglovin




Eat, Pray, Love 
One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia. Written by Elizabeth Gilbert, the book is a memoir chronicling the soul-searching time she spent traveling in Rome, India and Bali after she realizes her life needs a new direction. Many women found her story inspiring, but some found it impractical. 
I just watched the movie last night and most likely, though you’re familiar with Liz’s story, so I don’t want to spend time writing a standard “movie review.” I found the movie very entertaining, a good example of how out-of-touch with reality some people can be. Liz ( played by Julia Roberts ) was able to leave her entire life behind, to get away after a difficult and painful divorce (which she initiated) to heal and get perspective on life. Basically it's a story about taking chances and following your heart. 

I read a lot of bad reviews about the book and the film as well. Honestly, I never understood exactly what drove her to leave her marriage but as stated she feels unfulfilled and was not happy anymore but that's life!, everyone at one time or another has been completely frustrated or disappointed with their life's direction, and felt the need for a change. 


Practically no one has the resources (be it time, money, or support) to just pack up and leave everything behind. I guess people nowadays especially women  has commitments, obligations and bills to pay. But I believe, Gilbert was not suggesting for a moment that we should all travel the globe in pursuit of happiness. She then understands that she was privileged to be able to do so. The idea is that we all might want to consider a little more depth in our lives and a whole lot more mindfulness.


The part that I loved most was in India, when she met the most wonderful character that I especially loved Richard from Texas, a bit crass but down to earth man. He is so fully in tune with himself and has accepted who he is so completely, he makes every moment feel authentic. He kind of makes you want to see a movie about his character instead. I just admire him so much. And he makes me laugh too. He taught LIZ how to forgive herself from all the mistakes she did especially the failed marriage she had and that is exactly the message of this film/book. To forgive. Forgive yourself and do it now! then let it go. She finally was able to come to terms with herself and to let go of the worry and the pain that had consumed her. I also admire her for being a flawed but honest person.


Mistakes happen, but that’s it. They happen, and you move on. You learn from it. But you can’t get back to who you really are unless you accept what happened and forgive yourself – at that point, you can get back to being comfortable and even happy with who you are. And it’s when that happens that your inner beauty shines through, you see and speak through your heart, and you won’t have to change a thing about yourself in order to love and be loved.

This book/film does inspire you to reach beyond yourself in order to see the better, more complete you.



3 comments:

Smarla said...

I finished the book recently and I liked it. I really appreciated her insights from her India trip and I was so envious of her food trip in Italy. :) Bali was so-so.

I heard the movie was a bit dragging since it developed her life story prior to her trip. In the book, she traveled right away. There was little introduction about her life which I liked. She was crying on the bathroom floor right away.

I wanted to watch it in the cinema but after bad movie reviews, maybe i'll just borrow a copy.

I agree, what I really like about Elizabeth's character is she learned to accept her flawed self. She learned to forgive herself eventually :)

M.C. said...

I actually read the book but wasn't able to finish it, so I decided to just watch the movie, but my friends told me it's better to really read the book first. The movie was a bit shortcut but concise. I loved the movie though, I'm not actually focused on how messed up her life was, everyone goes through things and takes their own path. As per GILBERT, from ruins to transformation. All good things come from bad things, so sit still and trust HIM. :)

Cak wang said...

Bali... Bali.... I'am Comming......

Post a Comment