Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What is Loneliness?

In its most severe form, loneliness can drive a person to real panic and even to insanity or suicide. In its milder form. loneliness can be felt as nothing more than the vague feeling of being unloved and unwanted, the feeling of not belonging. 

Loneliness, in spite of the terrible feelings that comes with it, is still a gift from God. At worst, it is the price we human beings pay for our capacity to think, to reflect, to be aware of our own uniqueness and limitations. At best, loneliness is the other side of our capacity to give and receive love.

Whenever i feel lonely, I try not to ask why anymore, for I know it is part of my being human. I ask, instead, what I may have done to make myself feel isolated, walled-in and alienated from the others. In fact, loneliness comes during those moments of isolation, when around me I have built an invisible wall , perhaps after i have been hurt by others . The same wall protects me from getting hurt again, but, unfortunately, it also imprisons me.

It is said by some that loneliness is a part of our being human because, they say, we are relational by nature. which means that each of us is not  meant to remain an "I" forever, it urges us to find the "you" reach out, and, together form a "We". Loneliness disappears as soon as we find a "We-ness" with others.

When you let the negative emotion of loneliness go, it will undoubtedly free up your hidden motivations to go out and meet new people.
I think loneliness is a terrible thing to go through, but a necessary thing at times because you can really learn a lot about yourself and come out a stronger person.

Remember:  "you are never truly alone except in your mind."

1 comments:

Smarla said...

Thanks for this post! :) I think even in a relationship, the couples must still learn to embrace loneliness. anyway, there's a poem video called "how to be lonely" by tanya davis which i think you might like :)

You can look it up in youtube or in my blog. I posted the video and transcript there: http://everydaysweetnotes.blogspot.com/2010/09/society-is-afraid-of-alonedom.html

Post a Comment